The coming season, the Gyeongin Derby is going to be very hot.
Opening day schedule has been announced. On February 25th, the official first game of the league will be decorated with the ‘Hyundai Derby’ between Ulsan Hyundai and Jeonbuk Hyundai. And on the same day, there is one more standout match. FC Seoul and Incheon United will play the ‘Gyeongin Derby’ at the Seoul World Cup Stadium.
The Gyeongin Derby is an interesting match where thrilling matches were often produced. If Seoul was the dominant trend in the past, Incheon has recently turned the tide. Now, it has established itself as an attractive game that cannot be predicted.
Seoul and Incheon had a successful transfer market ahead of the 2023 season. As of the 28th, Seoul recruited Im Sang-hyeop, Willian (on loan), Ho Sam, Kim Kyung-min, Park Soo-il, Lee Si-young, Kwon Wan-kyu, and Choi Cheol-won. Reinforcement was completed in all positions except for midfielder, and he had a thick squad.
Incheon brought Cheon Seong-hun, Jerso, Mpoku, Shin Jin-ho, Kwon Jin-jin, and Kim Yeon-su. He added weight to the offense and midfield and succeeded in making up for the departure of the center back after the end of the season.
The two teams can form a very destructive lineup when they combine their recruits and their existing strength. In Seoul, there are Ilyuchenko, Na Sang-ho, Ki Sung-yong, Go Yo-eum, Osmar, and Lee Han-beom, and in Incheon, there are Hernandez, Kim Bo-seop, Lee Myung-ju, Kim Dong-min, Delbridge, and Kim Dong-heon.
Let’s take a brief look at each position.
– Seoul : Seoul has Ilyuchenko, who joined last summer and scored 7 goals and was responsible for the front line. He, who has become a veteran striker, is expected to satisfy Seoul’s lack of scoring ability. And Ji Dong-won and Park Dong-jin want to share the score. Wings are perfect. There are ‘national team resources’ Na Sang-ho and Kang Seong-jin, and there are also resources that have been proven in the K-League, such as Lim Sang-hyeop, Kim Kyung-min, and Willian. 안전놀이터
– Incheon : Hernandez’s main position was a winger, but he also played a great role in the front line. He made four goals and four assists in eight games before an injury sidelined him last season. On the side, ‘K-League representative crack’ Jerso was added, and Kim Bo-seop, who became a new player last season, is holding on. In addition, it remains to be seen how to use it, but Mpoku, who has rich European experience, has joined, and Hong Si-hoo, Song Si-woo, and Kim Min-seok add sharpness.
– Seoul : Korea’s representative midfielder Ki Sung-yueng and long-term injury Go Yo-han. The two are in their mid-thirties, but their skills are still ‘top class’. And Han Seung-gyu and Palosevich add creativity, and Jeong Hyeon-cheol, Han Chan-hee, and Baek Sang-hoon support them.
– Incheon : Shin Jin-ho and Lee Myung-joo teamed up again. Shin Jin-ho, who was selected as the K-League Best Eleven, and Lee Myung-joo, who was nominated, made up the ‘perfect midfielder’. It also has good depth. Yeoreum, Moon Ji-hwan, Lee Kang-hyeon, and Lee Dong-soo are in charge of the waist.
– Seoul: Centerback Osmar-Lee Han-beom are holding up a ‘solid wall’, and Kim Joo-seong, Kwon Wan-gyu, Kang Sang-hee, and Hwang Hyeon-soo can be operated together at times. Lee Tae-seok, Kim Jin-ya, Park Soo-il and Lee Si-young, who are full of activity, are expected to bring vitality to both fullbacks.
– Incheon: Incheon’s ‘salty defense’ was possible thanks to Delbridge and Kim Dong-min. The two will be responsible for the defensive line for the 2023 season as well. Kwon Jin-jin is expected to fill the vacancy of Kang Min-soo in the center of the 3rd back. Both wingbacks are paired with Kim Do-hyeok (position change), Min Kyung-hyeon, Kim Jun-yeop, and Jeong Dong-yoon.
– Seoul: Choi Cheol-won, who won the 2022 season K-League 2’Accumulative GK Preliminary Number 1 (10.65)’, will fill the void left by Yang Han-bin. Choi Cheol-won’s first career in the first division was ahead when he joined Seoul. His backups include Baek Jong-beom, Hwang Seong-min, and Seo Joo-hwan.
– Incheon: Kim Dong- heon is evaluated as one of the best goalkeepers in the K-League 1. He appeared in 25 games last season and gave up only 22 runs, boasting a zero-point run rate. He was also named in the K-League 1 ‘Accumulated GK Saving Index 1st (7.35)’. After that, there are Lee Tae-hee, Min Seong-jun, and Kim Yu-seong.
Derby, the first competition of the 2023 season, is expected to provide more exciting matches with star players.